Really unit testing Chef recipes
2014 June 29
- Simple to get started
- Build the resource collection
- Monkeypatch a provider’s :perform_action method to do nothing.
- More complete
- A lot of monkey patching on assertions
Unit testing recipes
- You want to assert the resource collection after compiling the recipe. Borrowed from the description of rspec-puppet.
- if else logic
- Need to stub the whole chef
- node object
Test according to the Chef run cycle. An overview from http://docs.opscode.com/essentials_nodes_chef_run.html. Actual code is in https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/run_context/cookbook_compiler.rb#L70-L76.
Fake that in the run context. So do that in the unit test as well to stub the run_context
- Fast tests
- really isolated recipes
- understanding of chef’s innards
- too much to stub
- Reflects on the design of chef?
- Are the tests here telling us something?